As part of NWPB's commitment to keep you updated on our latest workforce research, analysis, and community work throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, here are the latest developments on NWPB's Immigrant Mentorship Program from our mentorship manager, Josie Faccini:
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been working closely with our Internationally Educated Healthcare Professionals (IEHPs), which includes physicians, nurses, pharmacists, dentists, lab techs, and PSWs. This is one of our top 5 professional groups in NWPB's Immigrant Mentorship Program.
As mentorship in this area has halted, we have been working collaboratively with local agencies to create a comprehensive list of IEHPs, as well as providing resources and opportunities for them, listed below.
The pandemic is putting a significant strain on an already stretched health care system. And this is likely to worsen as cases increase, and health care workers contract the virus. We have already seen a call to inactive and retired health professionals to return to work. Now, we need to mobilize an untapped resource: IEHPs who can supplement and complement capacity.
If you are an Internationally Educated Healthcare Professional, please check out these following links:
- The Niagara Health System has created a Volunteer Physician Skill Set Inventory Survey
- The Niagara Region has a call for Long Term Care Recruitment
- The province of Ontario has launched their Workforce Matching Portal, seeking those with experience in providing health care who are available to help provincial efforts to prevent and control the spread of COVID-19.
- You should also be registering with Health Force Ontario Access Centre
- Additionally, we wanted to highlight the Ontario Long Term Care Association site (open to everyone)
Stay healthy. We'll be in touch again soon.
Our Immigrant Mentorship Program is designed to introduce newcomers to their industry in Niagara, and the Canadian workplace culture, in order to better understand Niagara’s labour market and grow their local professional network. If you are interested in our program, or have questions about the information provided, please contact our mentorship manager, Josie Faccini.